Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Concise Story

          “Beeep!” The acute sound of the referee’s whistle sounds, and even though I am on the ground, grass 
stains on my white jersey, and cleat marks on my red socks, I’m in the box. Penalty kick, extra time, and the only thing I have to do is put the ball in the corner. But it’s never that easy. As the referee puts the ball on the twelve yard spot, my mind starts racing. Flashbacks on all the two hour practices in the rain, all the shots against the brick wall in negative degree weather, all the hours put into something that happens in a matter of seconds. Then the flashbacks turn into negative thoughts. Thoughts about how if I miss this penalty; there is not a championship, there is not a state cup trophy, there aren’t any bragging rights. These thoughts turn into pressure that sends chills through my body. However, with all this deep thinking and second guessing myself, a quick, confident smile is still able to appear on my face. The chills that I once had are now gone. And finally, when I lock eyes with the goal keeper, I realize that all the long hours put in are going to give me a deserving result. Then the whistle blows, I pick my spot, and go…

5 comments:

  1. “Beeep!” The acute sound of the referee’s whistle shrills, and even though I am on the ground, grass stains on my white jersey, and cleat marks on my red socks, I’m in the box. Penalty kick, extra time, and the only thing I have to do is put the ball in the corner. But it’s never that easy. As the referee places the ball on the twelve yard spot, my mind starts racing. Flashbacks on all the two hour practices in the rain, all the shots against the brick wall in below zero weather, all the hours put into something that happens in a matter of seconds. Then the flashbacks turn into thoughts about how if I miss this penalty; there is not a championship, there is not a state cup trophy, there aren’t any bragging rights. These thoughts send chills through my body. However, with all this deep thinking and second guessing myself, a quick, confident smile is still able to appear on my face. The chills that I once had are now gone. And finally, when I lock eyes with the goal keeper, I realize that all the long hours put in are going to give me a deserving result. Then the whistle blows, I pick my spot, and go…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the intensity of this. It seems more like a description than a short story. I don't get it when you say "even thought I am on the ground, grass stains on my white jersey" when you say this it makes it sounds more like a a contradiction. Also, who are you? I have an understanding of what you're doing but maybe telling who you are would help too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't change anything, maybe find a way to lengthen it a little bit but i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to read more to see if you scored

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the story but maybe like Emmett said find a way to make the story longer.

    ReplyDelete